Applicants who have previously participated in a J-1 Cultural Exchange internship/traineeship may be eligible to participate in an additional internship/traineeship program under the following conditions:

  • Additional training and internship programs must address the development of new and/or more advanced skills, you cannot return to duplicate training or experience.
  • Interns may participate in additional internship programs as long as they maintain student status or begin a new internship program within 12 months of graduation.
  • If you return to university full time you may apply 60 days after the end date of your previous J-1 Program as an intern. Please note that you would also need to apply in a different position at a different host employer than your previous J-1 — this is to show the US Embassy that further training is needed.
  • Trainees may participate in additional training programs after a two-year residency outside the U.S. following their previous training program. You will need 12 months related work experience to qualify as a trainee.
  • Former interns applying as a trainee, need to wait two years.

What is the 212(e) – Home Country Physical Presence Requirement?

A person subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement may not be eligible to apply for other visa categories for two years following their program. Exchange visitors who are subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement may be able to apply for a waiver of that requirement with the U.S. Department of State. Please check with the appropriate government or legal authorities for current and accurate information regarding your eligibility to apply for a waiver. See Travel.State.Gov for more information.

Please note that the J-1 Visa is NOT extendable.

There are a couple reasons that it is not possible for the program to be extended.The program is limited to 12 months in all circumstances as per the dates listed on the DS2019. There is no extension past 12 months at any time. Any J-1 visa granted in the field of hospitality and tourism is limited by the US government to a maximum duration of 12 months.