What is A j-2 visa?

The J-2 visa is intended for non-immigrant spouses or children of a J-1 exchange visitor who accompany or later join their spouse or parent in the United States.

The application procedure for J-2 visas is the same as the application process for J-1 visas. The sponsor of the program must approve the accompaniment of the spouse or child, who will be issued their own Form DS-2019. The J-2 visa holder can accompany their J-1 spouse or parent into the United States, or they may choose to join them later. The visa is granted at the discretion of the consulate. J-2 applicants are required to pay a separate visa fee to schedule an embassy interview but are not required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

In most cases, a J-2 visa holder can work in the United States. In order to do this, he or she must obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. HPUSA does not assist with work authorization for a J-2, you can find more information about work authorization here, (https://www.uscis.gov/i-765). Money earned by a J-2 visa holder cannot be used to support the J-1 visa holder.

J-2 dependents are subject to travel validation procedures and their visa status is, entirely dependent upon the J-1 program participant maintaining proper visa status.

What documents are required for a J-2 Visa?

  • Passport (Each J-2/Spouse and Child)
  • Marriage Certificate (if J-2 Visa applicant is Spouse)
  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Contact Information including Email Address, County and City of Birth
  • Financial information: documents showing the J-2 dependent has appropriate funds to support themselves while in the US independently of wages earned by the primary visa holder or the J1 Cultural Exchange Visa holder can support the J-2 visa holder for the program duration. This can be a bank statement.
  • Letter or email from the host company acknowledging the addition of dependent(s)
  • Required completed sponsor documents

What are the fees for the J-2 Visa?

Your program fee covers the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for J-2 Visa
  • J-2 complete process including acting as liaison with your Host and/or Sponsor for the duration of the program.

The following is NOT covered by your program fees:

  • Visa Fee at US Embassy ($160.00)
  • Airfare for arrival and departure in the US
  • 12 Months Health Insurance that meets J1 Requirements