All requests for travel or time off from your program must be approved by your host employer. It is also customary to give at least one-week notice when requesting time off. If you plan to leave the country during this time, you will need to complete additional forms required by your sponsor.

Traveling Outside USA:

Please follow the instructions provided by your sponsor organization prior to making any travel arrangements outside the US. You will need to have your DS-2019 form signed by your sponsor, allowing you to re-enter the country and continue your program. You will not be able to return to the USA on a J-1 visa without this signature, which signifies you are in good standing on the J-1 program. Please submit a copy of your DS-2019 form with the completed HPUSA Travel Request Form and any other required forms to your sponsor organization.

Traveling to Canada or Other Countries:

Please keep in mind that J-1 Trainees/Interns may not travel outside the U.S. for more than 30 days aggregate during their period of training/internship and plan your travel arrangements accordingly. Before you book any tickets or confirm travel plans, please ensure that your country of destination does not require you to obtain any additional visas or clearances.