You can apply for a local driver’s license in the state your host employer is located. Any J-1 Visa holder with an active status in SEVIS may apply for a driver’s license or ID card, per state or territorial law. Please note you cannot use your International license in the US. It is recommended you wait at least ten calendar days from the date of entry in the USA before applying for a driver’s license or ID to allow time for arrival data processing.

You can apply for a driver’s license or ID at your local Department of Driver Services. Find a local Department of Driver Services here:

We encourage you to bring your valid passport with visa, Form i-94, DS-2019 and your Social Security Number with you when you apply however some states have specific requirements, please refer to the DMV website or contact your local DMV office. You can find more details about how to obtain your driver’s license, what documents to bring with you and details regarding driver’s tests here:

Please note you will also need auto insurance for your vehicle – please research quotes on insurance policies.